Search This Blog

Wednesday 30 June 2010

CHECK IT OUT SIMON AND FRIDAY SKETCHERS



















Evening:

It's been such a hot day today. So lovely if you're outside in the garden but murder in my job. I sit next to a window looking out over Grimsby Docks. Mmmmm - not so good you're thinking. But it's not all bad and I actually quite enjoy the view as I get to see all the ships coming into and out of the harbour. They come in through a very narrow channel which isn't visible from my window so it looks as though they're coming in on the road, which never fails to amuse me. And I can see people on deck and am always tempted (but I don't - well only now and again!) to wave, especially as they're setting out to sea. There's something so romantic about setting sail I always think. Even if you're on a rusty cargo ship with a hold full of salmon heads. Perhaps that's not so romantic thinking about it so we'll move on. Anyway, the sun streams in especially during the afternoon and the temperature rises to tropical levels with jungle-like humidity (thank goodness we're not in the business of salmon heads, can you imagine the whiff!). Sometimes it gets so bad I feel I'm in danger of actually cooking! And no jokes about lovely crackling thank you. I put on my free standing fan which whirrs away ineffectually behind me. It must have some cool air as I get a stiff neck after a while but seems to make not one iota of diference to the general temperature. Then the computer fan kicks in and makes a terrible noise. The sun shines on the computer screen so I can't see a thing even with my sunglasses on (yes, I know that looks ridiculous in an office environment but I thought I'd see if it would help - it didn't), I can't hear anyone on the phone for the fans whirring away, so really I'm about as much use there as a chocolate fireguard and probably more melted. So I've decided that hot weather is lovely for holidays but not to be encouraged when you're back at work!

Well now that rant's out of my system I'll tell you about the card. It's for two challenges Simon Says which asked for 'checks' and Friday Sketchers using their sketch. Thanks to both DT's for the inspiration. There are some lovely cards on both sites this week. I have to apologise for the quality of my photo. The papers are from the same pad as yesterday's post (can you tell I've forgotten its name and can't be bothered to look) which are very subtle in colour and I promise you lovely in real life. But I want to get the cards posted and don't get the opportunity to photograph in daylight. 'Get up earlier' you shout. 'No', I reply.

I used a fairy image from Little Claire Designs. I loved the flower 'clock' that she's blowing. I used to love 'telling the time' doing that when I was little and that's why it appealed to me. She's coloured in in distress inks and I've really gone to town with the stickles but as she's a fairy that's perectly ok! I punched the flower, the butterflyand the leaves using Woodware and Stamping Up punches.

Hope you're enjoying the hot spell!

4 comments:

  1. Love to have a rant!!!! Does you good don't you think! lol. Love the card Anne, I remember blowing dandelion clocks, they were always the wrong time though!
    Like the weather now it's a bit cooler.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely card Anne, love the soft colours! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL at your office tales Anne!! Does it go dark in your office when those huge ships full of cars go past??? Love your card, the colours are gorgeous and I love that argyl paper across the top! thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp, hugs, Jane xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this card such delicate colours too was nice seeing you,Bee & Tracey even if you was being a bit coy, love Janet

    ReplyDelete