Search This Blog

Wednesday 7 July 2010

WAKE UP AND SMELL THE WILDFLOWERS

Dear Reader

I just had to stop this morning and take a couple of pictures to share with you of the wildflower border along Humberston Road, Cleethorpes (or is it Grimsby Road Humberston - never sure as at one time we had one signpost on one side of the road and another quite different on the other side). Near the Cleethorpes Tesco......

Anyway, I've been noticing something 'happening' there but today in the sunshine with all the pinks, purples, blues and whites bobbing their heads in the breeze and enjoying the fine weather it was in its prime and absolutely stunning. There are hundreds of tiny flowers, most look like some kind of cornflower but there are other bits and bobs in there too (not a wildflower expert as you can tell!). OK, don't expect showy actors like the cultivated roses, peonies or azaleas we have in our gardens or floral soldiers planted in lines and patterns of the kind we find in local authority bedding schemes , but in my book this border is so subtle, so understated and so so pretty. It runs for quite some distance, starting just past the Pear Tree pub restaurant and if you're in the area take the time to check it out. I did get a couple of funny looks as I screeched to a halt, leapt out of my car and started photographing the verge but hey ho I like flowers! I'm guessing it's been planted by the Cleethorpes in Bloom people and what a wonderful job they've done. I love it when we have something to celebrate in our area. Yes, I know it's just a tiny thing but someone somewhere has come up with the idea, planted the seeds and they must be bursting with pride now that it looks so good. If I'd done it I'd be marching up and down with a sandwich board on saying "Noticed the border yet?!" There are no empty patches, no vandalism (although I bet a few schoolkids might be tempted to pick some for their mum), just a sea of nature's finest for the whole community to enjoy. My idea of floral heaven.



























5 comments:

  1. LOL at you screaching to a halt to take the photo, but my, was it worth it! Thay are just beautiful.... x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done on noticing them!! I think they are cornflowers,apart from the little rogue orange one!! not that I am an expert in flower identification! can't grow them but I know what they look like, lol. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren't they lovely? We noticed them on Thursday night, I think it's the Friends of Country Park (or something like that) that planted them. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely just lovely such a pretty row of corn flowers with a few buttercups & even the dandilions mix in well, Janet

    ReplyDelete