Search This Blog

Wednesday 19 May 2010

Spreading the Magic





Dear Reader

Well the Awards has been and gone. You live and breathe something for so long then suddenly whoooooosh and it's all over. That's events for you! But I did enjoy the night and I can't tell you how wonderful it is to see all the strands of a large event come together. Eight months work and lots of creative angst and deliberation as well as partnership working,briefing, commissioning and trouble-shooting. I was surrounded on the night by people I actually enjoy being with (I'll never be a high flyer - can't be doing with all the politicking) - Maurice, my daughter Chloe, my mum, Tracey and Neil (a big thank you for all the creative input and massive support), Katie Carter (a brilliant new creative find and now I hope a friend - ex designer for John Lewis and so so talented and the neatest crafter I've ever come across - well apart from Tracey - wouldn't like to judge that neatness comp.), my admin lady Marilyn and Alan from Recognition Express who provided the trophies, plaques and table labels - and did the behind the scenes work on making sure we presented the right trophy to the right person! Sounds obvious but in the dark behind stage not as easy as it sounds! Anyway, all the people who do the work, inspire me or spur me on and who I wanted to say thank you to.

The first pic I posted is of the owl post envelope. Thanks to all at RWS who mucked in and helped with the distressing. I had a few problems with it when I tried to put the wax seals on and discovered that the red wool I was using really burned fast if you dropped flaming wax on it. Phew. Very fast. And then it set an envelope alight and I had burning envelope, burning wool and burning candle and only a limited puff to blow it all out. Thank goodness I gave up smoking when I did! But I managed. No way I was going to burn my carpet lol.

We actually had a live owl on the evening that flew across to the stage to deliver 'owl post' and start our Tri Wizard Tournament. That was great fun. I'd popped through a side door earlier in the evening and came face to face with a staring owl (they just have the most amazing eyes) and - it's true - such a wise countenance. I automatically said 'sorry'. Not quite sure why I said that just that it gave me such an unblinking stare and look of 'well apologise for bursting through then'! The Triwizard tournament also included a rope act (the rope was suspended from an RJS beam about 30 ft up (you'll know all about them Mel - RJS beams not rope acts lol) and I just couldn't bear to look earlier in the day when they crawled in the rafters putting up the rope to make it safe.

The second picture is of the compere for the evening, Steve Short, a local Chamber member but also a member of the Magic Circle. He did really well! The picture is of him during the day on Friday. He was the 'glue' behind the whole evening and had such a lot to remember. To help him I typed up lots of prompts and crib notes. He printed them off and stuck them to giant playing cards. As well as comparing he 'magicked' Harry Potter on to the stage at the start of the evening and did tricks to 'fill in' between acts. He is a genuinely funny guy and has a very dry sense of humour. When he arrived on Friday morning, looking I have to say a little pale, and asked "Is it too late to hand in my resignation" I just laughed and thought he was joking ..... but in retrospect I'm not sure he entirely was lol But he did so well and I was very proud of our local talent.

It's late so I'll finish now and post some more Awards stuff tomorrow. This is all a little random but I'd like to post my memories to look back on in days and years to come. It's interesting to read how you felt about things at the time. Tired is what springs most to mind today !!!

4 comments:

  1. Awwww I can only imagination the exhaustion you must be feeling. Seeing a tiny proprtion of the behind the scenens preparation and organisation gave me a tiny insight into the vast amount of work you must have put in to pull off such a magical success. Steve was indeed excellent and a real charmer, he really pulled the night together and all the elements of the night flowed so seemlessly. I appreciated being next to Katie, she is an absolute doll and I hope it wont be our last meeting as we did get along really well ( seeing her work I am more than happy to see her have the neatness award lol). These is much more I can say about the night but will wait and see what your next posts are before I turn this comment into an epic lol. thanks again Anne, it was a delight to be there XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Anne I bet it was fabulous, you put in so much work for it and your ideas were amazing! Hope to see you soon! hugs,Jane xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well the big event over bet your completly K****onked out bet you thought it was going to be naughty, sounds like it went off as you said it would. I'm so pleased it turned out well for you, you put so much hard work into it & it sounds like you all had a good evening(still waiting to see the rear shot of the Unicorn haha. Love Janet looking forward to tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing Anne, and you are you!!! Well done Girl!!!

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete