Search This Blog

Monday 22 March 2010

MUM'S WAR MEMORIES 7

WALLASEY

My best friend before the war was a girl called Rita Page who lived about six houses down the street from us. Our parents were friends so in a way friendship was forced upon us.

When war broke out Rita's father said to my father 'You know we might get called up and I have heard that if we apply for a job in Wallasey making Barage Balloons we would be exempt from call up. We have decided to go - why don't you and Edie come with us? My father discussed this idea with my mother but she didn't want to leave her father I think Dad thought he was too old for call-up papers anyway so they said 'no' - they wouldn't go'.

The Pages left and promised to keep in touch, which they did. Rita and I were encouraged to write to one another - we were eight years old. About a year later they came to Grimsby to visit some relatives who lived in the school house at Cleethorpes Grammar School. Whilst they were visiting we had a heavy bombing raid.

They came round to visit my mother, my father was in Egypt by now and they suggested to my mother that I should go back with them to Wallasey as the German planes were never going to reach the West Coast and I would be safe. They said that if anything happened to my mother they would bring me up until the war finished and my father returned home. Lots of children were being evacuated at that time so my mother thought she would let me go with the Pages and see how I settled.

Rita and I were very excited. Mother packed up my things and we caught a train to Wallasey near Liverpool. Welholme Road School was closed so my mother thought I would receive some education. They had a nice new semi-detached house - I had my own bedroom and although I was a little homesick I settled down well. Rita and I were good friends and every night and morning she would come into my bed and we would read, play games and gigle continuously.

I was there about two months and had just got admitted into a school when Liverpool started to get bombed. Rita became ill and was not allowed to see me so I began to feel miserable. I didn't know what illness Rita had but Mrs Page suddenly told me that she was sending me home because my mother had written and said that if Liverpool was being bombed I might as well take my chance with her in Grimsby.

I was put on a train (full of Forces personnel) and they asked the guard to take care of me. I had a card around my neck with my name and address on. I think it was Manchester when the guard told me I had to get off and catch another train (I was 9 years old). He asked two airmen to put me onto the next train to Newark (I think) which they did. This continued until I got home. Everyone seemed very kind and helpful during the war and I remember everyone on that journey was concerned and helped me.

My mother was waiting at Town Station to meet me and her first words were 'Hello Love - what on earth is wrong with your face?' Apparently I was covered in red spots - the next morning my head was covered in spots, so she took me to see Dr Riggalkl who said I had Impetigo. My hair was cut off and the doctor daubed my face and head with a horrid blue lotion that I think was called Gentian of Violets. I looked ridiculous. My mother was furious and said, "the Page's house must have been dirty". This wasn't true at all and I protested.

Well that was the end of my short evacuation and also the friendship with the Page family. I have often wondered what became of Rita.

1 comment:

  1. Awwww poor thing, everyone knows red spots and blue lotion must have looked horrific, imagine putting a 9 year old on a train today with a change halfway and expecting a note around ones neck being sufficient to ensure her safe passage !!!!!

    ReplyDelete