Search This Blog

Saturday 18 December 2010

Make a Note - Just Larkin about

Dear Reader

Here's a notebook I made from, yes you've guessed it, a Laura Dennison design. I've kept it really plain as I wanted it to be practical. The first photo is the chipboard cover, back and spine, all covered in one sheet of 12 x 12 paper (MME - Wild Asparagus Flower). The inside is another sheet of 12 x 12 and has a tad more decoration. The concertina wallet on the left (designed to keep receipts/tickets in) is fastened with an oversized button and the decorated border uses anMS punch.

The notepad is from Chamber members Prontoprint. I've got to know their Sales guy Simon well over the last eight years. He always has a tale to tell when I meet him at our events - he's a keen biker, loves DIY and is always on with some project, decking or the like, for his family. He so energetic and so up-beat he always cheers me up! This time when we met he' told me he's helping a mate prepare some land for motorcross!

I really like his company's work too. The print is always good quality with a bit of quirkiness. This range of complimentary pads they produced all featured musical instruments, hence the 'Make a Note!' which I really loved. So I made the little pocket at the bottom just big enough to hold the paper pad in place. Unfortunately you can't see the musical instruments as they're hidden within the pocket. Ah well! It's really earned it's keep this little pad in the run up to Christmas and it's lovely to use something you've made yourself. And I mean, if you don't like the pattern you've only yourself to blame!






































Reverb 10: Day 17Prompt: Lesson learned.
What was the best thing you learned about yourself this past year? And how will you apply that lesson going forward?
I've learned that I can live every day for itself. No more dwelling on what was, or obsessing at what might be or might not be. I've tried to enjoy or at least smile at something every day, no matter whether it's a good or a bad day. I'm going to continue on with that in 2011. Carpe Diem. Live for the moment.
Revert 10: Day 18
Prompt: Try. What do you want to try next year? Is there something you wanted to try in 2010? What happened when you did / didn't go for it?
In 2011 - Two man tobogganing..... Yes, definitely two man (or one man and one woman) tobogganing. In Switzerland. Wearing one of those lycra suits and a crash hat. I'm thinking in yellow. Ann Widdicombe eat your heart out. Of course I'm joking. The suit would be black. !!
Seriously, what would I like to do in 2011. To be honest I'm quite happy to see what the year brings, the traditional health and happiness would be nice, and as long as I have Maurice to share it with I shall be pleased. I'm going a bit off track here but I watched the programme on Philip Larkin recently, where the relationship between him and his secretary Betty, started when they were both in their 50's, was brought to light. I thought the poem Larkin wrote about them meeting in the 'autum of their years' was very poignant and although Maurice and I met a little earlier than they (hopefully in our 'high summer years'!) it still touched a chord. It goes
We met at the end of the party
When all the drinks were dead
And all the glasses dirty:
'Have this that's left', you said.
We walked through the last of summer,
When shadows reached long and blue
Across days that were growing shorter:
You said: 'There's autumn too'.
Always for you what's finished
Is nothing, and what survives
Cancels the failed, the famished,
As if we had fresh lives
From that night on, and just living
Could make me unaware
Of June, and the guests arriving,
And I not there.
Very poignant. As for 2010... can't think of much. I did want to go to The Dogs. No sniggering thank you. I might have mentioned this before as something I've always wanted to do. Probably one of those things you want to do just once! The year just slipped past and I didn't make it... but who knows in 2011...

No comments:

Post a Comment