Search This Blog

Saturday 4 December 2010

WONDERLUST


Prompt: Wonder. How did you cultivate a sense of wonder in your life this year?

Nature always provokes a sense of wonder in me. I love 'big' nature, the kind you get in the USA and nearer to home in Scotland, the kind that dwarfs you, is humbling and awe-inspiring. I remember once seeing a train travelling through one of the glens along the side of a mountain and a loch and it looked like a little toy chugging along. Seeing it suddenly gave me perspective, made me realise the scale of the scene I was witnessing and it definitely had that elusive 'x' factor - without switching the box on! This year we were lucky enough to travel through the Sierra Nevada mountains and that was wonder-ful. To my mind there's a strange irony that such dramatic and stark scenes can promote such a sense of peace, relaxation and well-being. I guess sometimes you have to wander to wonder.

1 comment:

  1. So true, we are all so tiny when compared to the natural wonders of the world, like you say, they always seem to promote a sense of peace though, not up to much wandering at the moment though - still knee deep in snow out here in the sticks, hope all is well with you xxx

    ReplyDelete