Search This Blog

Sunday 17 January 2010

THE FRAME AND THE CASSEROLE




Two shopping stories. I've been looking everywhere for a deep frame that I could put a scrapbook page in. Wouldn't work for all pages but I thought some would make a really nice, different, picture for a room and of course you can change it as and when you like with different layouts. Anyhow, struggled to find anything at a good price that was deep enough to take a page that was heavily embellished. Then I came across this Ribba frame at IKEA. It's £13.99 which I think is a good buy and comes in different colours. A 12" x 12" layout just fits inside the mount (which is ph neutral). I bought two, put in matching pages that I did at an RWS class, added some journal prompts and bob's your uncle. If you're looking at the picture and wondering why Maurice is holding it it's because the light kept bouncing off the glass when I tried to photograph it. It's not how we normally display our art as obviously it would make his arms ache after a bit! You, of course, could hang yours on a wall! Anyways, just an idea........

My other purchase today was a wildly expensive le Creuset casserole dish. In the sale, with another 20% off but still expensive. Cooked up a really big batch of bolognaise last night, put it in the oven to cook out and when I came back after the chicken timer had rung and Maurice had reminded me that it had rung, the glass lid had shattered and imploded into the bolognaise. Wot a mess! I should explain that I lost my original wedding present le Creuset casserole in my divorce. My ex Tony got custody and I didn't even get access!! I've been through three cheap casseroles since. I'm obviously hard on casseroles! Anyway, enough is enough and I took my flexible friend (no this is not the new name I decided on for Maurice) into town and now am the owner of a brand spanking new turquoise oval le Creuset casserole dish. Let's hope I don't need to use the lifetime guarantee!


We were all reminiscing yesterday at the impromptu crop at Runnning With Scissors about sayings that your granny used I thought it would be a bit of fun to finish my blogs with an appropriate granny-like comment and see how long I can find something appropriate without repeating myself. But today I'm torn between two, "You get what you pay for" and "Never Spend a Penny When a Ha'Penny Will Do". I think my granny would have gone for the latter!

3 comments:

  1. oh good lord, what a mess the smashed lid must have made, I would have been heartbroken, not for the pot but for the spoiled bolognese !!! really liking the colour of the new pot though. lol at poor Maurice doing his best artists easel pose, was he deliberately trying to keep his handsome little visage out of the photo? And I am loving the granny sayings and if you ever run out, let me know and I will have a natter with my granny, even in a normal conversaton she is able to squeeze in at least three of those wonderful little pearls of wisdom XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving the idea of the frames for the layouts Anne.

    Nicki.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like it to be noted that I bought these frames!!! Well in exchange for a guitar hero game!! Fair trade :) Glad you've finally used it.

    ReplyDelete