Search This Blog

Friday 22 January 2010

OOH LA LA!

If anyone's looked in on my blog this week and found - well - nothing new I do apologise. I was aiming to be fairly regular with my blogging. However, remember how I said right at the beginning of this blog that 2010 was going to be about finding something positive every day, even on a day when I went to the dentist? Well, I've certainly had my work cut out testing that baby out this week. To be short, I got an abscess in my mouth on Monday which caused my face to swell horrifically overnight so that by Tuesday I resembled a crazed chipmunk. Wouldn't have been too bad if I'd had a dentist but I was, what you might call, between dentists. So this week I've been trying out various medical facilities in the town and do you know what, without exception, they've all been marvellous. First port of call emergency dentist in Osborne Street. Slightly worrying that there was a security guard on the door but apparently he wasn't there to stop me escaping. Very kind, efficient, gave me some antibiotics and told me to rest hot tea on my cheek. Fair enough, not good at balancing but willing to give it a go. Second port of call doctors for painkillers. Saw a French doctor who was unbelievably tender and oooh la la'd and clucked at the sight of my chipmunkian features and said I might warrant yet more antibiotic. Third port of call was my new hastily appointed dentist Mr Crossgates, Traingates or similar.Bit dazed as on painkillers by now and everything a blur. I know it wasn't Bill Gates. Anyway, Mr Sidegates apparently works one day a month in a hospital in France. Didn't go into detail as he was lancing me at the time. But I'm liking the French connection - made me feel very EU. That's European Union not 'Effing Unbelievable'. Mr Frontgates has now given me more drugs, told me to put frozen peas on my cheek (will make a nice change from the tea) and the promise of root canal treatment next Friday once my face is, as he put it, flat again. I've always been a bit of a chipmunk so I hope he's not expecting miracles! And to be honest the only canals I've ever wanted to see are the ones in Venice. And when the neighbours walk past and look in I can see them thinking "Wouldn't it be quicker if she defrosted her peas in the microwave". But, let's be positive. I've had excellent treatment everywhere I've been, met some lovely people and there is hope that my tooth may be saved. And Maurice has been an absolute treasure of a paramedic, cooking me scrambled egg. passing me painkillers, tea and peas and filling my hottie. But of course, as grandma would have said, 'abscess makes the heart grow fonder'. I'm sure it was something like that anyway....

2 comments:

  1. hmmmmm, sure i posted some sympathy for your tooth last night...poor comment's wandered off and got lost!!!! so have some more sympathy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, I really should not be rolling around the floor laughing should I , I began with feelings of sympathy but I started giggling at the chipmunk vision and then the new definition of eu seems so apt, ( and much more honest than European Union!!! lol) by the time I got to grannies new saying my tears were of laughter not sympathy, bless you XXX

    ReplyDelete